Learning Management System or LMS in general is software designed to create, distribute, and manage the delivery of learning materials.
This LMS system can help the teacher to plan and create syllabus, manage learning materials, manage student lecture activities, manage grades, recapitulate absenteeism, display grade transcripts, discuss and conduct quizzes.
Generally, this LMS can be based on application and web platforms, making it easier for educators to plan online learning processes. This program makes it easy for students to access course content or material from anywhere and anytime.
Advantages of LMS
The Learning Management System has many benefits or advantages in the distance learning process, here are 10 benefits or advantages:
- Learning time becomes more efficient because online learning can be accessed anywhere and anytime.
- The cost to use it is cheaper than the face-to-face learning process.
- Facilitate lecture activities such as quizzes, assignments, uploading materials, or building interactive discussions.
- Become an alternative to online learning.
- Make it easier for educators to collect and analyze data on student learning outcomes in a shorter time.
- Make it easier for educators to find and organize learning materials for students
- The learning method uses several information technologies in the form of images, sounds, animations, videos, and texts to make learning materials easier to understand and not boring.
- Encourage students to do independent learning.
- Learning content for students can be well documented.
- Facilitate interaction between educators and students with the chat feature and discussion groups.
Disadvantages of LMS
Behind the advantages that exist in LMS, there are also disadvantages, such as the following:
- It requires a stable and good internet connection to access it. If not, the learning process through LMS will be hampered.
- Lack of ability to implement real-time interaction between educators and students.
- Requires supporting devices, such as computers, laptops, and smartphones to be able to use them.
In this platform or application there are a number of excellent features, namely:
Easy-to-use User Interface (UI)
Presenting an attractive interface for the application is very important to be easily accessible, and easily understood by its users. Users, will not feel confused when using it. For LMS providers, attractive interface features can also add to the aesthetics of the LMS web page so that it can attract many new potential users.
Registration Can Be Online
This application uses online registration, or can be linked to the school information system. Through this feature students can register themselves online through the application page and can see the material that has been prepared.
Online Class (online)
The LMS function is to help online learning, for that this application certainly has an online class feature. What is meant by an online class, is a class that presents the teaching and learning process without requiring physical contact.
This online class can also present a variety of digital learning materials, in the form of learning videos or animations, voice recordings of educators regarding learning materials, and learning material documents (articles or electronic books) for students to study independently.
Discussion Forum and Class Features
This application also provides a discussion forum so that students and teachers can connect to discuss material or share information, data, events, surveys, media more easily.
Video Conference Features
Video conferencing feature to conduct face-to-face learning virtually, it can be said for synchronous learners. And the Video conference feature can be directly used for direct delivery of material, and interacting between students and teachers.
Online Quiz and Exam
A good LMS also provides online quiz and exam features so that teachers can evaluate their students’ learning. This feature must support the needs of teachers in making questions to distributing exam questions to students.
Finally, LMS should provide a report feature that can make it easier to track student progress. This feature is also useful for checking student absenteeism, the intensity of students accessing learning materials, monitoring student assignments, and recaping answers to quizzes and exams.